Coconut-Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp coconut flavor
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached, self-rising flour
- 2/3 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup unslated butter, softened
- 1/4 cup coconut milk powder or 1/2 tsp coconut flavor, to taste
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- coconut flakes and/or toasted coconut
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups or use paper liners.
TO MAKE THE CUPCAKES:
Beat the butter, sugar, and flavors together until blended. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating and scaping the bowl after each addition.
Add the flour alternately with the buttermilk or yogurt, mixing gently and scaping the bowl after each addition.
Scoop the batter into muffin cups, villling them about 3/4 full. Bake the cupcakes for 18-20 minutes or until golden around the edges. Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes. Remove from pan to cool completely on a cooling rack.
TO MAKE THE FROSTING:
Beat the butter, coconut milk powder, and salt until fluffy. Add the sugar, beating until fluffy. Beat in the flavors.
Pipe or spread about 2 Tbsp of frosting onto each cupcake and garnish with coconut.