- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces button mushrooms (trimmed), quartered if large
- 3 pounds boneless beef rump roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 5 strips bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 ounces pearl onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot with a lid, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Season beef generously with salt and pepper and add 1 tablespoon oil to pot. In batches, brown beef, 2 to 3 minutes per batch (adding up to 1 tablespoon oil per batch if needed); transfer to plate. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot. Add bacon and cook over medium until brown, 5 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add flour and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
Return beef to pot; add wine, broth, bay leaf, and garlic. Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer pot to oven; cook 1 1/2 hours. Add carrots and onions and cook until meat is very tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours more, adding mushrooms 15 minutes before end of cooking. Stir butter into stew and serve topped with parsley if desired.