Roast Pork With Port Jus And Chipotle-Glazed Apples
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar - (packed) plus
- 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
- 3 pounds boneless center-cut pork rib roast
- 3 cups ruby Port
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 3/4 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter chilled, and cut into small pieces
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Chipotle-Glazed Apples (see recipe)
Mix first 4 ingredients and 1/2 cup brown sugar in small bowl. Rub spice mixture over pork. Place in large glass baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Transfer pork to large roasting pan. Reserve juices in glass dish. Roast pork until thermometer inserted into center registers 155 degrees, about 1 hour 45 minutes, basting with reserved juices from glass dish every 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine Port, shallots and remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar in heavy medium saucepan. Boil until syrupy, about 25 minutes. Add both stocks and thyme. Boil until reduced to 1 1/4 cups, about 30 minutes. Strain sauce. Return to saucepan. Mix any pan drippings from pork into sauce (do not scrape roasting pan). Add butter; whisk until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
Cut pork into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Divide among 6 plates. Spoon Chipotle-Glazed Apples alongside, dividing equally. Spoon sauce over and around pork.
This recipe yields 6 servings.