Strawberry Meringue Roulade
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 – 2/3 cup ripe strawberries
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp. Grand Marnier
- icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 13” x 9” jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Gradually whisk in the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, whisking well after each addition until mixture is stiff and glossy. Whisk in the vinegar and vanilla extract.
2. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle evenly with sliced almonds. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the surface has turned a pale golden brown. Leave to cool in the pan.
3. Sprinkle a sheet of parchment paper with a little bit of icing sugar. Invert the meringue onto the parchment paper. Peel away the parchment paper lining the meringue.
4. Thinly slice the strawberries. Whip the cream with the Grand Marnier until it just holds its shape. Spread the whipped cream to within ½” of the edges of the meringue. Scatter with the strawberries and roll up, starting from a short edge.
5. Slide onto a serving plate and chill until ready to serve. You may wish to dust the roll with additional icing sugar before serving.