Gluten Free Batter-Fried Fish
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 lb. fish fillets (sole, haddock, tilapia)
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- vegetable oil for frying
1. Preheat oil in deep fryer or wok to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Sift cornstarch and paprika over beaten egg whites. With a rubber spatula, fold in. Set aside.
3. Rinse fillets under cold running water and pat dry. Dredge in sweet rice flour. Dip into prepared batter to generously coat, leaving as much batter on the fish as possible.
4. Deep fry the fish for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until coating is crisp and the fish is fork tender. Drain on paper towels.
The paprika helps the batter brown.
For a spicier coating substitute a pinch of cayenne pepper for the paprika.