Roast Five-Spice Duck With Honeyed-Mango Chutney Sauce
- 4 quarts water
- 2 cups salt
- 2 cups brown sugar - (packed)
- 1 onion quartered
- 1 orange quartered
- 12 whole star anise
- 10 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder see * Note
- 6 cups cold water
- 2 whole ducks - (6 lbs ea)
- Honeyed-Mango Chutney Sauce (see recipe)
* Note: Available at Asian markets and specialty foods stores, and in the spice section of some supermarkets.
Bring first 10 ingredients to boil in large pot; boil 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 6 cups cold water. Cool completely. Add ducks to brine, immersing entirely. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours and up to 18 hours.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place rack in roasting pan. Remove ducks from brine and drain well. Pat dry with paper towels. Place ducks on rack in pan. Roast ducks 45 minutes. Remove excess fat from pan with baster. Continue roasting until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175 degrees, about 1 hour longer. Let rest 30 minutes.
Cut each duck in half and transfer each half to plate. Spoon Honeyed-Mango Chutney Sauce alongside and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Risotto With Mushrooms And Sugar... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Rhubarb-Raspberry Jalousie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Red Cabbage With Raspberries,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pork Medallions With Mustard Cream... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pan-Fried Trout With Bacon 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Honeyed-Mango Chutney Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Veal With Gorgonzola And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Duck With Honey-Peppercorn Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)