Mocha-Filled Chocolate Cake Roll
Needs to be refrigerated 6 hrs or overnight.
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup plus 1 TBS granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup firmly packed unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 2 TBS cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup finely ground pecans
- Mocha Buttercream
- Powdered Sugar
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10x15 inch jelly-roll pan and line with parchment or wax paper. Lightly grease parchment paper.
2) In a lrg bowl, beat whole eggs, egg yolks and 2/3 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer on high speed until very light and fluffy, about 5 mins. In a med bowl, sift together cocoa, bake flour, cornstarch and salt. Fold into egg mixture until well blended. Gently fold in pecans. Spread into prepared pan.
3) Bake 13 - 15 mins or until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan and springs back when touched lightly. Immediately flip pan over onto a lrg sheet of wax paper sprinkled with remaining 1 TBS granulated sugar. Remove pan and peel off parchment paper. Starting on one long side, gently roll cake up jelly-roll fashion with wax paper in between. Allow cake to cool rolled up.
4) Unroll cake and spread Mocha Buttercream to within 2 inches of edges. Roll again from long side jelly-roll fashion; this time without the paper. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 hrs or overnight. Just before serving, trim ends of cake and soft powdered sugar on top.