Rice Pilaf With Spinach And Caramelized Onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions halved, sliced
- 1 large carrot coarsely grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (or medium-grain white rice)
- 4 cups canned low-salt chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach - (6 oz)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in heavy large wide pot over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until tender and deep brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer 1/2 cup onion slices to small bowl and reserve. Add carrot, cumin, and garlic to onions in pot; stir 1 minute. Stir in rice. Add broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until rice is tender and most liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Stir spinach into rice mixture; cover and cook until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer pilaf to bowl; top with reserved 1/2 cup onion slices.
This recipe yields 6 (side-dish) servings.
Per serving: calories, 287; total fat, 5 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 0 mg.
You'll also love
- Sonny's Smoked Fish 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Banana Pepper Dip 3.8/5 (39 Votes)
- Cajun Corn (Dinosaur BBQ) 3.9/5 (9 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Old Country Store's... 3.7/5 (41 Votes)
- Morton's Creamed Spinach 3.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Spinach Squares (Cook's Country) 3.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Boar's Head Sweet Vidalia Onions... 3.3/5 (8 Votes)