Rice And Chicken Pilaf With Dried Currants, Toasted Almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion cut through
- root end into 1/4"-thick wedges
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs cut crosswise
- into 1/4"-wide strips
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (or medium-grain white rice)
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 2 cinnamon sticks broken in half
- 4 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds toasted
Heat oil in heavy large deep skillet (preferably nonstick) over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken and garlic to skillet; sauté until chicken is no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
Stir in rice, currants, and cinnamon sticks. Add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until rice is tender and most liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Discard cinnamon. Sprinkle with almonds.
This recipe yields 4 (main-dish) servings.
Per serving: calories, 533; total fat, 14 g; saturated fat, 3 g; cholesterol, 68 mg.