Gluten-Free Cornbread Dressing with Bacon
Think you can't have stuffing when you are gluten free? This recipe mixes homemade gluten free cornbread and gluten free bread cubes with a yummy mix of spices and butternut squash soup.
- 1 package Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Cornbread Mix, prepared according to directions
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free bread cubes (see notes below)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 (16-ounce) box Pacific Natural Foods Creamy Butternut Squash Soup, or similar
- 2 cups chicken broth (gluten free)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 75mins
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Cut cornbread into cubes and spread on rimmed baking sheet. Place in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, just until cubes are are little bit toasted. Reduce temperature to 375°F.
In a large skillet, saute bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and set aside to cool and drain on paper towels. Remove all but 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings and discard. Add celery, mushrooms and onion to the pan. Saute vegetables in the bacon drippings until they become tender (5 to 6 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool.
Place toasted cornbread cubes and bread cubes in a large bowl. Add sauteed vegetables. Crumble bacon on top. Add sage and gently mix it all together. Add salt and pepper, as desired.
In medium saucepan mix soup and broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated. Pour over the stuffing mixture (a little at a time) and stir well. You may or may not need all of the liquid. The texture of the stuffing should be damp, but not soggy. Spoon into a well greased 13×9”dish and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until well heated-throughout and crispy on top.
You'll also love
- Oven-roasted Potatoes and Sausage 4.4/5 (40 Votes)
- Paula's Easy Christmas Sugar Cookie 4.6/5 (35 Votes)
- John Legend's Macaroni and Cheese 4.6/5 (35 Votes)
- Strawberry shake 4.6/5 (35 Votes)
- Broccoli Cheese Balls 4.6/5 (35 Votes)
- Best Ever Strawberry Spinach Salad 4.6/5 (25 Votes)
- Black Eyed Peas 4.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Eggless Corn bread 3.8/5 (104 Votes)