Turkey (or beef) Black Bean Chili
From Joy Bauer. Her recipe calls for turkey but I used ground beef and it was great. Chuck really liked taking the leftovers for lunches.
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey (at least 90% lean) (I used ground beef)
- one 28-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes (I used regular)
- 2 cups water
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons whole-wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- two 15-ounce cans no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed (I used regular)
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the turkey, stirring to break up the meat. Drain the fat. Add the tomatoes, water, onions, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, cumin, oregano, and red pepper. Mix thoroughly. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes.
Stir in the flour, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in the beans and corn and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.