Sausage and Spinach Soup
Fresh herbs are added after the soup cooks so they'll retain their bright color and flavor. You can substitute 1 teaspoon dried herbs for each tablespoon fresh, but add them with the tomatoes. Serve with a toasted baguette.
- 10 ounce sweet turkey Italian sausage
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup prechopped onion
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can organic stewed tomatoes, undrained (such as Muir Glen)
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Romano cheese
Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large saucepan coated with cooking spray over high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion and 2 teaspoons garlic to pan; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup water, beans, tomatoes, and broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly thick. Remove from heat, and stir in spinach, basil, and oregano. Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 4 bowls, and sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese.