One-Pot Jerk Chicken
Just looking at the ingredients makes me hungry.
- 1cup1 cup jasmine rice
- 3pounds3 pounds chicken, drumsticks and breasts or thighs
- 44 scallions
- 4cloves4 cloves garlic
- 2Tablespoons2 Tablespoons fresh ginger
- 2-32-3 habanero peppers, seeded
- 2Tablespoons2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 22 limes, juice only
- 1Tablespoon1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2teaspoons2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4cup1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/21/2 white onion, diced
- 2-1/2cups2-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 44 bay leaves
- Scallion, for garnish
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from tablespoon.com
Rinse rice in a mesh strainer with cold water. Set aside.
In a mini food processor, add scallions, garlic, ginger, habanero peppers, brown sugar, lime juice, thyme, allspice, nutmeg, and salt. Pulse until combined into a paste.
In a medium bowl, add the spice paste, soy sauce, oil, and chicken. Mix well and let sit for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
Heat a large skillet with high walls over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and let cook for 7-8 minutes until they start to brown. Turn chicken pieces and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet and turn heat down to medium-low. It’s okay if the chicken isn’t cooked through at this point.
Add onions to the skillet and cook them for a few minutes, scraping up any bits stuck to the pan.
Add rinsed rice to the skillet along with chicken stock and stir to combine.
Bring mixture to a slight simmer, turn heat down to low, and nestle chicken pieces back into the skillet along with bay leaves. Cover skillet and simmer for 20-25 minutes until rice is cooked and liquid is evaporated.
Check the skillet occasionally and if it is dry, add more stock.
Serve chicken and rice with fresh chopped scallions.