Winning Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
I developed this recipe myself by substituting asparagus for broccoli in cream of broccoli soup. It's a big favorite at our house! —Westelle Griswa, Monroe, Connecticut
- 4 cups fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions or 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Place asparagus in a large saucepan and cover with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, reserving liquid.
In a another saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in the milk, bouillon, reserved cooking liquid and remaining water. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in asparagus; heat through.