Osso Buco-Style Halibut And Whipped Potatoes With Herbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled carrot
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes in puree (from 15-oz can)
- 1/2 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup chopped lemongrass - (abt 3 stalks) see * Note
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 6 halibut fillets - (5 oz ea)
- Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter - (1/4 stick) room temperature
- Whipped Potatoes With Herbs (see recipe)
- Gremolata (see recipe)
* Note: Available at Asian markets and in the produce section of some supermarkets.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot and garlic; sauté until brown, about 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook 2 minutes. Add white wine and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, scraping up browned bits, about 5 minutes. Add next 7 ingredients; simmer until mixture is reduced to 3 cups, about 50 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle halibut with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add fish to skillet and cook until brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer fish to plate.
Pour off oil from skillet. Reduce heat to low. Add balsamic vinegar to skillet; simmer 1 minute. Add sauce. Whisk in butter. Season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce into 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Place fish atop sauce in dish. Bake until fish is opaque in center, about 10 minutes.
Divide Whipped Potatoes With Herbs among 6 plates. Top potatoes with fish and sauce. Sprinkle with Gremolata and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Old-Fashioned Coconut Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Nantucket Scallop Chowder 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mixed-Onion Soup In Sourdough... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Marinated Shrimp, Scallop And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fettuccine With Chicken, Red Onion... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Trout With Hazelnuts, Lemon And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sizzling Catfish With Black... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roast Chicken And Potatoes With... 0/5 (0 Votes)