There is nothing like homemade minestrone soup. This is a classic recipe, but feel free to add or remove any ingredient that you may not care for. Serve with some good crusty bread for dipping into the soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 moon shapes
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 4 peeled and whole San Marzano tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock, hot
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup cannellini beans, cooked
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Handful of chopped basil leaves
- 1 cup kale, finely shredded
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
In a heavy-bottomed pot, add 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add the onion and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low, and add the celery, carrots, potatoes and garlic.
Allow to simmer over low heat until the vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and the parsley. Cook for 5 more minutes so that the flavors meld. Add the hot stock and season with salt and pepper.
Bring the mixture to a boil, and add the zucchini and the cannellini beans. Bring back to a boil and then lower the heat so that the liquid is simmering. Cook for about 20 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked through.
Add more stock if necessary. Stir in the Parmigiano to taste, and top each serving with some chopped basil.
You'll also love
- Fresh Tomato, basil and ricotta... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Potato Gnocchi with Chorizo Sauce 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Creepy Caterpillar Recipe 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Asparagus-White Bean Gratin 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Fries 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Black Bean Hummus 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- 3 Bean Chicken Chili 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- White Bean Chicken Chili 4.5/5 (4 Votes)