Honeyed-Mango Chutney Sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 mangoes peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add next 4 ingredients and sauté until onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add stock, honey, vinegar and ginger. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thick sauce forms, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour 40 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Before continuing, bring to simmer.)
Stir cilantro into sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields about 2 1/2 cups.