Carrots, Pickled Magic Mexican Style
These crunchy spicy pickled carrots makes a delightful tasty unexpected side dish or snack with tortilla chips. I used to get these at Mexican Restaurants, but are now hard to obtain.
- 2 lbs Organic Carrots
- 2 White Onions - Peeled and Sliced
- 2 Poblano Peppers - Seeded and chopped into 1/8ths
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 Whole jalapeño - Head off and Chopped into 1/4's. Take some seeds out for less heat.
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Oregano - Dropped into the water and then discarded before canning.
- 6 Cloves Garlic - Whole
- 1 Cup Cider Vinegar
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 Tbs Black Peppercorns - Whole
- 1 Tbs Sea Salt
Adapted from keyingredient.com
1. Select fat carrots, peel and sliced on the diagonal (1/4 inch thick). Steam carrots for about 3 minutes, then immerse in cold water and ice. Let cool, then drain carrots.
2. Slice onions and sprinkle with salt (cures the onions).
3. Put all the other ingredients into a large pot and bring to a boil. Boil for just one minute only. Then remove from heat. Add carrots and onions.
4. Let cool for 2-3 hours. Remove Fresh Oregano sprigs. Store in refrigerator in non metal container with a lid.
5. If you plan to create jars: Heat jars at 300F for a few minutes until hot. Carefully take out jars and leave with lids on to cool a little.
6. Put carrots and a little of all the ingredients, into each jar and place in refrigerator.
7. leave for 1-2 weeks to absorb all the flavors.
8. They will keep for a week after opening.
Makes 6 x 12oz Mason Jars