La Scala's Ortolana Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 leeks, cleaned light green part and white part, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced
- 3 medium (about 1 pound) White Rose or other all-purpose potatoes, peeled
- and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cooked, drained and rinsed garbanzo beans
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest, for garnish
Adapted from chowhound.com
Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the leeks and saute for about 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the carrots, zucchini and potatoes, and saute for about 3 minutes more, or until mixed well and beginning to soften.
Add the tomato paste and chicken stock and simmer, partially covered, for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add the garbanzo beans and cook for another 3 minutes or until heated through. Add the salt and pepper.
Process the soup with an immersion blender in the soup pot until pureed. Add the parsley and taste for seasoning.