- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 3/4 cup coarsely-chopped drained roasted
- red peppers from a jar
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 cup beef stock or canned beef broth or more if needed
- 1/2 cup apple juice or more if needed
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/2 tablespoon coarsely-chopped canned chipotle chilies
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat 1 tablespoon corn oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add roasted peppers, onion, celery, carrot and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add 1 cup beef stock and 1/2 cup apple juice and simmer uncovered over medium heat 15 minutes. Add whipping cream and chipotle chilies and simmer 5 minutes longer.
Transfer sauce to blender. Puree until smooth. Strain sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Thin sauce with more stock and apple juice if necessary. (Sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm sauce over low heat before using.)
This recipe yields about 1 3/4 cups.