Grilled Halloumi with Watermelon and Basil-Mint Oil
by The Bon Appétit Test Kitchen Bon Appétit July 2011
Firm, salty Halloumi is our favorite cheese for grilling. Find it in better supermarkets and at vineandtable.com.
Per serving: 456 calories, 37 g fat, 21 g carbohydrates
Nutritional analysis provided by Bon Appétit
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint plus thinly sliced mint for garnish
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 1 8-9-ounce package Halloumi cheese, cut crosswise into 8 slices
- 6 small triangles thinly sliced watermelon, rind removed
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from epicurious.com
Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high. Purée basil, 3 tablespoons mint, and garlic in a blender. With machine running, add 1/2 cup oil. Set a strainer over a small bowl; strain, pressing on solids. Season with salt and pepper.
Brush grill rack with oil. Drizzle 2 tablespoons basil-mint oil over tomatoes and cheese; season with salt and pepper. Grill tomatoes, turning occasionally, until charred and bursting, about 4 minutes. Grill cheese until nicely charred in spots and beginning to melt, about 45 seconds per side.
Arrange melon on a platter. Top with cheese and tomatoes. Drizzle remaining herb oil over; garnish with sliced mint.