Broiled Ham Steaks With Rhubarb Chutney
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 cup fresh rhubarb in 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cherry preserves
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ham steak - (13 oz) cut into 4 pieces
Toast mustard seeds in medium saucepan over medium heat until beginning to pop, about 2 minutes. Add next 7 ingredients. Simmer until rhubarb is tender, 5 minutes. Increase heat to high; boil until mixture thickens, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat broiler. Broil ham (do not turn) until brown at edges, about 3 minutes. Serve with chutney.
This recipe yields 2 servings; can be doubled.