Thai Cucumber Salad with Peanuts
- For the Salad
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 large English cucumbers, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- 1/3 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (or use 1-2 Thai chiles for more heat)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, from 2-3 limes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from onceuponachef.com
Place the onions in a small bowl of cold water. Let sit for ten minutes, then drain well and pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large bowl, combine the drained red onions, cucumbers, cilantro, peanuts and jalapeño pepper. Set aside.
Make the dressing: combine the lime juice, oil, fish sauce, sugar and garlic in a small bowl and whisk until the sugar dissolves. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Taste and add salt if necessary. Serve the salad within 30 minutes.