Guiness Gingerbread and Cranberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
This is an experiment for the Cupcake Hero Challenge.
I love fresh cranberries and was inspired by this challenge to come up with something new.
The Guiness makes for a rich and complex flavor in the gingerbread and the cranberries add a nice fresh zing. And how can you go wrong with cream cheese?
- 1 cup Guinness or dark beer
- 1 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar - (packed)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups fresh cranberries
- CANDIED CRANBERRIES:
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar plus more for rolling
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
For Candied Cranberry Garnish:
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, dissolve sugar into 1 ½ cups water. Lower heat to barley a simmer. Add cranberries and simmer for 5 minutes, or until softened. Remove from heat and strain cranberries. Discard liquid. When cranberries are cool enough to handle, roll in granulated sugar. Place on waxed paper.
For Cake: Line 24 cupcakes with paper holders. Bring stout and molasses to boil in heavy medium saucepan over high heat. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda. Let stand 45 minutes to 1 hour to cool completely. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk flour and next 6 ingredients in large bowl to blend. Whisk eggs and both sugars in medium bowl to blend. Whisk in oil, then stout mixture. Gradually whisk stout-egg mixture into flour mixture. Stir in fresh cranberries. Using ice cream scoop, fill cupcakes 2/3rds full.
Bake until tester inserted into centers of cakes comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool 15 minutes. Invert cupcakes onto racks; cool. (Can be made 1 day ahead, wrapped in plastic and keep at room temperature.) Frost cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and garnish with candied cranberries.
You'll also love
- King's Fish House BBQ Shrimp 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Grinch Popcorn 4.2/5 (38 Votes)
- Kelly's butternut squash soup 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- David’s Homemade Summer Peach... 4.2/5 (31 Votes)
- Crescent Cherry Cheese Cobbler 3.9/5 (35 Votes)
- No-Bake Strawberry Nutella Eclair... 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Easy Cranberry & Apple Cake (Ina... 3.9/5 (32 Votes)
Review this recipe