No-knead Overnight Artisan Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (unbleached, unenriched and unbromated if possible)
- 2 t salt
- 1 t active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups room temperature water
Adapted from dontwastethecrumbs.com
1. Combine flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl and stir to combine.
2. Add water and mix well. The dough will be hard to stir and shaggy, not smooth like traditional bread dough.
3. Cover with a towel and let rise overnight, 8-18 hours. The dough will bubble and rise.
4. When you are ready to make bread, flour your hands and your working surface and turn the dough out. Without kneading the dough, gently form it into a ball. Cover with a towel and allow to rest for one hour.**
5. After the dough has risen for 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 450 and put your Dutch oven or oven-safe pot (that has a lid) inside to preheat. Do not put the lid in the oven. Preheat for 30 minutes.
6. When the dough has rested for an hour, and the pot has preheated, remove the pot from the oven. Carefully lift the dough from the surface and place into the pot. If your pot is stainless steel and not lined, you can line it with parchment paper first.
7. Replace the lid and place the pot back in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on.
8. Remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes, or until the top is golden-medium brown.
9. Allow to cool completely (at least 30 minutes in a spot where air can flow freely above and below.)
** To turn this recipe into individual bread bowls, divide the dough into two balls before allowing it to rest for 1 hour. Use 2 smaller oven-safe pots (with lids) and proceed with the remaining directions as written.