Ancho Chili Sauce
- 3 dried ancho chilies stemmed, seeded
- and torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar - (packed)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Place chilies in medium metal bowl. Pour enough boiling water over chilies to cover. Let stand until chilies are soft, about 30 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup soaking liquid.
Puree chilies, 3 tablespoons soaking liquid and lime juice in blender until smooth. Transfer to small bowl. Whisk in mayonnaise, brown sugar, oregano, rosemary and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using, adding water by tablespoonfuls and stirring if very thick.)
This recipe yields about 1 1/4 cups.