Mint Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Sponge:
- 8 large – eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Chocolate Ganache:
- 6.8 oz. – Hershey Dark Chocolate Bar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp milk
- 16 oz. (454 g) – softened cream cheese
- 1 cup (225 g) – granulated sugar
- 8 oz. (225 g) – Greek yogurt plain
- 16 oz. ( 452 g) – cool whip thawed
- Spearmint Natural Oil or Extract
- Teal food coloring
Adapted from foodgawker.com
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Combine dry ingredients flour, cocoa, baking soda and poking powder into a small bowl. Mix it together well with whisker or a spoon. Set aside until ready for it.
3 .Beat eggs and sugar on high speed for 10 minutes.
4. While the eggs are beating, grease 2 – 9” pans.
5. Sift in half of the dry ingredients.
6. Fold it in very gently and then add second half of the dry ingredients. Use spatula and carefully fold the rest of the dry ingredients in. Be careful do not over mix and don’t deflate the air bubbles.
7. 4.Divide batter evenly into 2 – 9” greased pans.
8. Bake for 22 – 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean after inserting it in the middle of the sponge cake.
9. Remove it from the oven and let it cool for couple of minutes before removing it from baking pans.
10. Sponge cakes need to be completely cooled before slicing them in half horizontally and decorating it with cream.
11. Place the chocolate and 1/4 cup milk in the top of a double boiler
12. Place the pot onto a stove top and turn it on high and bring the water in the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and start mixing the milk with chocolate constantly until it becomes smooth in texture with no lumps.
13. Remove the top pot and set aside for the ganache to cool.
14. Once the ganache is cool add 2 tbsp. more of cold milk and then mix well again. You can add more milk or less it depends what thickness you need for your topping decoration.
15. Beat softened cream cheese and sugar for 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the mixer bowl and beat it again for 1 more minute.
16. Add Greek yogurt and beat the cream for a minute, scrape sides of the mixer bowl if necessary to ensure it gets mixed together well.
17. Add cool whip and repeat the same mixing steps.
18. Add ⅛ tsp teal coloring and about 4 drops of spearmint natural oil (you may need more drops if using extract; you can also make it to your taste, it doesn’t have to be supper minty).
19. Mix well on high speed for a minute.
20. Scrape the sides and the bottom of the mixer bowl and mix it again for a minute. You may need to repeat scraping the bowl and mixing to ensure all the colors are well mixed into the cream.
21. Cut each sponge cake in half.
22. Put about 2 cup of cream in between each sponge cake layer.
23. Spread the rest of the cream on top and sides of the cake.
24. Refrigerate the cake for an hour or so.
25. While the cake is setting in the fridge you can make chocolate ganache and let it cool.
26. place ganache into a small zip lock bag, and cut a small amount off at one end of the bag.
27. Pour chocolate ganache along the top edges first in the circular motion then fill the middle of the cake.
28. Use spatula to even out ganache on the top of the cake.
29. Shave some Andes Chocolate mints onto the center of the cake.
30. Refrigerate the cake overnight or for at least 8 hour before serving.