Siopao with Meatball Filling
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour flour plus 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoon Rapid Rise Highly Active Yeast (or 1 packet of Rapid Rise Yeast)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup milk plus 1/3 cup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- Meatball Ingredients:
- 3 lbs. lean hamburger meat
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 cups Quaker oatmeal (not old fashioned)
- 2 well beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 /s teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
Adapted from foodgawker.com
1. Grease a large bowl with cooking oil set aside.
2. Place 3 cups flour, granulated sugar, salt, baking powder and yeast in the mixing bowl and mix completely using a wire whisk. Set aside.
3. Place the additional ⅓ cup flour, ½ cup water and ⅓ cup milk in a small sauce pan and mix with spoon or whisk to incorporate, then heat it a low fire until pasty in texture
4. When the flour is pasty, add it to the flour mixture.
5. Place the butter in a microwave safe cup and heat for 30 seconds or until the butter is melted.
6. Pour into the mixing bowl.
7. Heat the ⅔ cup of milk in the microwave for 1 minute and add into the mixing bowl.
8. Mix all of the ingredients TWO TO THREE TIMES using the electric mixer THEN add in the egg.
9. Mix the dough using an electric mixer with a dough hook. Mix until it forms a soft dough.
10. Transfer the dough to the greased bowl and let the dough rise in a warm place for around 1 hour.
11. Mix the meatballs and shape into 14 balls
12.Place the meatballs into a steamer filled with 10 cups of water. Steam the meatballs until cooked. (Do not put raw meatballs into the siopao.)
13. When the dough has risen, form the dough into a small log and cut it into 14 balls.
14. Cut parchment paper into 14 pieces. Around 2x2 size.
14. Using your hand, flatten the dough and place the steamed meatballs on the middle. Seal the dough on the edges and arrange it on the steamer, placing each one on a piece of parchment.
COOKING THE SIOPAO:
15. Boil 4-10 cups of water and steam the siopao for 20 minutes.