Tiramisu With Brandy Custard
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons brandy
- 1 1/2 pounds mascarpone cheese see * Note
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup instant espresso powder
- 3/4 cup chilled whipping cream
- 44 crisp Italian ladyfinger cookies - (about) see * Note (from two 7-oz packages)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
* Note: Mascarpone cheese is available at Italian markets and many supermarkets. Ladyfinger cookies are available at Italian markets and some supermarkets.
Fill large bowl with ice water. Whisk eggs and 1/3 cup sugar in medium metal bowl set over saucepan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until thermometer registers 160 degrees, about 10 minutes. Set custard over bowl of ice water and whisk until cool. Mix in brandy. Whisk mascarpone in another large bowl to loosen. Fold in custard.
Bring 1 1/2 cups water to simmer in medium saucepan. Add 1 cup sugar and espresso powder; whisk until sugar dissolves. Mix in cream. Refrigerate until cold.
Submerge 3 cookies in chilled espresso-cream mixture for 5 seconds. Place cookies on bottom of 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish. Working in batches, repeat with enough remaining cookies to just cover bottom of dish. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over cookies. Repeat soaking process with remaining cookies, placing them in single layer atop mascarpone mixture. Spread remaining mascarpone mixture over cookies. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
Whisk cocoa and powdered sugar in small bowl to blend. Sift sweetened cocoa over top of dessert. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
This recipe yields 12 servings.
A perfect do-ahead dessert for a party.