Butternut squash and Parsnip soup
- 2 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped*
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 (12-oz.) packages pre cut butternut squash**
- 5 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Garnishes: sour cream, chopped fresh chives
1. Melt butter with olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion and next 4 ingredients, and sauté 20 minutes or until onion is caramel colored. Add squash and chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring often, 10 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 1 hour. If desired, cover and chill up to 2 days.
2. Process squash mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Pour mixture into a 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in whipping cream, paprika, and cumin. Cover and cook on LOW 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Garnish, if desired.
*3 carrots, peeled and chopped, may be substituted.
**1 (3- to 4-lb.) butternut squash may be substituted. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut squash in half; remove seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, on a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until squash pulp is tender. Remove from oven. Let cool 20 minutes. Scoop out squash pulp, discarding shells.
You'll also love
- Beet and Carrot Cake 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Cocoa Rubbed Steak with Bacon... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Blackberry Jelly (canning recipe) 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Potato Dumpling Soup 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Croissant Breakfast Bread Pudding... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- One Pot Chicken and Rice with Peas... 4.2/5 (46 Votes)
- Chicken & Tortilla Soup 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Cheesecake Pumpkin Pie 4.4/5 (23 Votes)