Banana Stuffed French Toast
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 bananas, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch thick round
- Pinch cinnamon
- 2 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 4 to 5 (1-inch) slices of ciabatta bread, cut nearly all the way through again for pockets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup garbanzo flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup soy milk
- 3/4 cup soy creamer
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
Make the banana filling first. In a small skillet, melt the margarine. Add the brown sugar and pinch of cinnamon. Stir it a little until it gets more saucy. Add the bananas and cook until the bananas just start to soften. Remove from the heat and stir in the cream cheese until melted. Set aside to cool.
Combine the rest of the dry ingredients in a 9 X 11-inch pan. Add the liquid ingredients and mix with a fork. It’s okay to have lumps.
Divide the filling among the french toast slices, stuffing them the best you can.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add enough oil to cover the bottom. Dip the stuffed slices into the batter, coating both sides. Place in the hot oil and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Turn over to cook the second side, adjusting the heat if needed. Serve garnished with confectioner’s sugar and maple syrup, if desired