Skillet Black Beans with Potatoes and Tortillas
- 4 medium-large potatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 to 2 small fresh hot green chili peppers, seeded and
- minced, 1 to 2 chipotle chilies in adobo, minced,
- or one 4-ounce can mild diced green chiles
- One 14- to 16-ounce can diced tomatoes (try fire-roasted)
- Two 15- to 16-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed,
- or 3 to 3 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Juice of 1 lime
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into short, narrow strips
- Salt to taste
Microwave, cook, or bake the potatoes until done but still firm. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Set aside until needed.
Heat the oil in an extra-large skillet. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and bell pepper and sauté over medium heat until the onion is golden.
Add the chiles, tomatoes, black beans, and cumin. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered, for 10 minutes.
Stir in the lime juice, tortillas, and potatoes and cook briefly, just until heated through. Add salt