Chocolate Beet Muffins
This recipe starts with one seriously healthy ingredient: Beet puree! An entire cup of beet puree – equals out to about 2 to 3 whole beets – goes into a dozen, naturally-sweetened delicious muffins!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup beet puree (made from 3 small red beets, roasted, and pureed)
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 80mins
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Scrub 3 small red beets, cut off the ends, rub with olive oil and wrap with foil. Roast for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Pinch off the peel and place in food processor or blender. Puree until smooth.
Lower the oven temperature to 375°F and prepare muffin tin by lightly greasing.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add beet puree, oil, agave, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk for 30 seconds until fully combined. Add the almond milk and whisk again. Add cocoa powder and flour and combine using a spatula. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
Fill the muffin tins 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Let rest in the pan for 2 to 3 minutes and then finish cooling on a baking rack. Keep in an airtight container for several days.
You'll also love
- Peach Cupcakes with Peach Cream... 4.3/5 (143 Votes)
- Spinach & Artichoke Lasagna Roll... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Beef Stew with Mushrooms and Penne... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta Garlic Oliolio 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sissy's Special Hamburgers 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Swiss-Thyme Pull Apart Rolls 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Bread 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cranberry Muffins 0/5 (0 Votes)