Homemade Beef Patties with Beet-Chup
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces and chilled
- 1/2 pound beef brisket, cut into 1-inch pieces and chilled
- 6 ounces boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces and chilled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- Buns and toppings, for serving
- 1 lb (2 medium) beets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
Adapted from tastingtable.com
1. Using a meat grinder set up according to the manufacturer's directions and with a medium die, grind the meats into a medium bowl. Using your hands, mix the meat until incorporated, then form into six 6-ounce patties. Season both sides liberally with salt and pepper.
2. Light a grill. Using tongs and paper towels, lightly grease the grill. Cook the burgers, flipping once, until charred and medium rare, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter, assemble as desired with buns and toppings, and serve.
Preheat the oven to 500º. Layer 2 large pieces of aluminum foil on a clean work surface and place the beets in the center. Rub with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Crimp the foil to seal and roast in the oven until tender, 1 hour. Let cool, then once cool enough to handle, peel and quarter. Transfer the roasted beets to a blender with the remaining ingredients and purée until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.