Candied Walnut, Pear and Goat Cheese Salad
- 1 c. walnut halves
- 1/4 c. + 2 T. sugar
- 5 c. baby lettuce greens or torn mixed lettuce greens
- 2 c. arugula leaves, torn
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, stemmed and slivered
- 2 pears, cored and cubed
- 1 1/2 oz. soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1 t. minced shallot
- 1/4 c. + 2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
In a heavy non-stick skillet melt the sugar around the walnuts, stirring constantly. Remove from heat immediately and quickly spread onto foil covered surface to cool. Break apart if necessary.
Combine the lettuce, bell pepper, pears, cheese, and the candied walnuts in serving bowl and toss to coat with vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and the shallot. Add the oil in a stream, whisking until it is emulsified. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste.