- 1 lb. 95% lean ground beef (or ground white meat chicken or turkey for a healthier option)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño (optional, only if you like spicy chili), chopped
- 4 clove minced, fresh garlic OR
- 2 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 15.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added or low-sodium pinto or kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added or low-sodium, diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup jarred sal
Adapted from heart.org
Cook Time: 30 min
Spray large saucepan with cooking spray. Cook beef and onion over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly to break up beef. Transfer to colander and rinse with water to drain excess fat. Return beef to pan.
Stir in bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, and cumin, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Optional ? serve topped with low-fat grated cheese, a dollop of fat-free sour cream, sliced avocado, snipped cilantro or chopped green onions.
TIP: if you want 5-alarm chili, add 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper