Crispy Tilapia Tacos
Crispy Tilapia Tacos are topped with a red cabbage and vegetable mixture for your festive taco fiesta. This recipe is filled with crispy tilapia fillets, spicy, fresh jalapeños, and zesty spices for a recipe for your Taco Tuesday that you'll start craving every day. Serve this recipe with Spanish rice, refried black beans, and margaritas to get the party started.
- 8 cups canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 4.5 ounces flour, about 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 (4-ounce) tilapia fillets
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Clip a candy or fry thermometer to a Dutch oven; add canola oil to pan. Heat oil to 365°F.
While oil heats, combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, cabbage, red onion, sugar, plum tomato, and jalapeño in a bowl; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
Heat tortillas over a gas flame or in a hot cast-iron skillet for 30 seconds on each side or until charred on edges. Keep warm.
When oil reaches 365°F, adjust heat to maintain a steady temperature. Place egg white in a shallow dish. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper in a shallow dish. Dip fillets in egg white; shake off excess. Dredge fillets in flour mixture; shake off excess breading. Carefully place fillets in hot oil. Cook 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Make sure oil temperature does not drop below 350°F. Remove fillets from pan using a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut fillets into 8 equal pieces.
Divide fish evenly among tortillas; top with cabbage mixture and cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Triple Chocolate Tres Leches Cake 4.5/5 (92 Votes)
- Vegetarian: Baked Portobello... 4.5/5 (56 Votes)
- Flu-Fighter Sunshine Smoothie 4/5 (12 Votes)
- Slow cooked Lamb Shoulder Weber 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Vegetable Farfel Kugel 3.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Seafood Diablo 3.8/5 (22 Votes)
- Shrimp Burgers with Greek Yogurt... 4.1/5 (10 Votes)
- Butter-Basted Halibut Steaks with... 4.2/5 (9 Votes)