Mexican-Style Pasta With Chicken and Peppers
I just tried this yummy low calorie recipe. It was very quick and easy since I used leftover chicken. Taken from Time Life's Fast, Fresh and Delicious cookbook. After tasting it, I can guess that shredded cheese and red pepper flakes would also go very well with it. Hope you like it too!
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 plum tomatoes, well drained or 6 whole canned tomatoes, well drained
- 3 scallions
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 3/4 lb vermicelli or other thin pasta
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped mild green chilies, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (omit if using regular chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro stem (optional)
Adapted from recipezaar.com
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth, garlic, cumin and chili powder to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Meanwhile, coarsely chop the tomatoes, scallions and bell pepper. Break the vermicelli into 2-inch pieces.
3. Add the chicken to the boiling broth, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove the chicken and set it aside to cool slightly.
4. In a large nonstick skillet, warm the oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the vermicelli and cook, stirring, until the vermicelli is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
5. Add the broth mixture, tomatoes, scallions, bell pepper, green chilies and salt, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is cooked, about 7 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, shred the chicken. Mince the cilantro (if using).
7. Stir the shredded chicken and cilantro into the pasta mixture and serve hot.