Double Ginger Pumpkin Flans
If you're looking for an impressive dessert to serve that won't take a lot of time to make, you've simply got to learn how to make flan.
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Preheat oven to 325°F.
To prepare caramel, lightly coat 6 (6-ounce) ramekins with cooking spray. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook 4 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, without stirring, 6 minutes or until mixture turns golden around outside edges. Divide evenly into prepared ramekins. Set aside.
To prepare flan, combine 1/3 cup sugar and egg yolks in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in pumpkin and next 3 ingredients (through cinnamon). Combine milk, half-and-half, and fresh ginger. Heat milk mixture over medium-high heat in a heavy saucepan to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Gradually add half of hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan. Reduce heat, and cook to 160°, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat. Strain through a sieve over a large bowl; discard solids.
Divide milk mixture evenly among prepared ramekins. Place cups in a 13 x 9–inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1-inch. Bake at 325° for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cups from pan; cool completely on a wire rack. Chill at least 8 hours.
Carefully loosen edges of custards with a knife. Invert ramekins onto plates. Drizzle any remaining caramel over custards.
You'll also love
- Garden Dirt Pie 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Beef Ravioli with Bacon Butter... 4.1/5 (20 Votes)
- Lemon Garlic Pasta 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Hot Chocolate on a Stick 4/5 (14 Votes)
- Easy Cranberry Sauce 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Cherry Tomato Vinaigrette 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Rose Levy Beranbaum's Fresh... 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Butternut... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)