Bacon Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 slices white bread, torn into small pieces (see NOTES)
- 2 tbs water
- 2 tbs finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 16 slices bacon (in UK it's streaky bacon--don't use thick cut)
- 8 - 1/2-inch cubes sharp cheddar cheese -OR- mozzarella
Preparation time 15mins
Adapted from bakeatmidnite.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (for easy clean up) and place a rack in the pan (I use a rack like you use to cool cookies)
In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, torn bread, water, onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper and egg. Blend well.
Divide meat into 8 equal portions.
Form meatball around a cube of cheese.
Wrap with one slice of bacon, then turn the meatball 90 degrees and wrap in another slice of bacon.
Place meatballs, bacon seam-side down on the rack in the prepared pan.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until bacon is nicely browned and beginning to look crisp (the bacon won't crisp on the bottom, FYI).