Jalapeño Corn Muffins With Red Bell Pepper
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 8 tablespoons butter - (1 stick)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels thawed, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely-chopped seeded jalapeño chili
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Spray fourteen 1/3-cup muffin cups with nonstick vegetable oil spray, or line with paper liners. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is tender, about 8 minutes. Add remaining 6 tablespoons butter; stir until melted.
Combine cornmeal and next 5 ingredients in large bowl. Whisk milk and eggs together in medium bowl; mix into dry ingredients. Add onion-butter mixture, corn, red bell pepper, cilantro and jalapeño and stir until just blended.
Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Bake until tester inserted into center of muffins comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool muffins slightly on wire rack; serve warm.
This recipe yields 14 muffins.