- For the custard:
- 1 large angel food cake
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons strawberry gelatin (recommended: Jell-O)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, cut in 1/2 (if berries are extra large, they can be cut into quarters)
- Whole fresh strawberries and mint leaves, for garnish
Slice cake, using a serrated knife, horizontally into 3 equal layers.
For the custard:
Mix together cream cheese, condensed milk, and whipped topping in a bowl; set aside.
For the glaze:
In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch, and gelatin; add water. Cook stirring over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Fold in strawberries.
Place 1 layer of cake in a large clear bowl. Top with a layer of glaze, followed by a layer of custard mixture. Repeat layering in this order for remaining cake, glaze and custard. Top cake with 3 whole fresh strawberries and fresh mint leaves.