Potato Pancakes with Salmon
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes (about 15 ounces)
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil, divided
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced smoked salmon, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Preheat oven to 200°. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet.
2. Combine sour cream, lemon rind, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Cover and chill.
3. Combine potatoes, flour, baking powder, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, salt, egg, egg white, and onion in a medium bowl. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Scoop about 1 1/2 tablespoons potato batter per pancake onto hot pan, for a total of 8 pancakes; flatten each slightly. Cook pancakes 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Place pancakes on rack on baking sheet; place in oven to keep warm. Repeat procedure in 3 more batches with remaining oil and remaining potato batter. Top pancakes with sour cream mixture, salmon, and chives.