Mushroon Soup from the Golden Mushroom Restaurant
- 3 oz. onion cut in 1/4 inch dice (about 1 medium sized onion)
- 1/2 stalk celery cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 1/2 large leek, clean well and cut just the white part into a 1/4 inch dice
- 4 oz. clarified butter
- 3 1/2 oz. flour
- 2 qt. chicken stock
- 1/2 bay leaf
- salt, white pepper and nutmeg to taste (start small)
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced thinly (or 3-4 oz. dried mushrooms)
- 1 c. half and half or heavy cream
1. "Sweat" the onion, celery and leak in butter til it is clear and the water is evaporated from the vegetables.
2. Add flour and cook til it turns light tan in color and then set aside.
3.In a large pot, warm up the chicken stock, bay leaf, salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
4. Add the vegetable and flour mixture and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40-60 minutes til thick (if soup gets too thick and a little more stock).
5. "Sweat" the mushrooms in a small amount of clarified butter til almost dry (au sec). Strain the soup pot. Add the mushrooms to the broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Warm the cream and add to the soup. Adjust the seasonings.
(makes 2 quarts)