Grilled Green Bean Salad With Red Onions And Tomatoes
- 16 large garlic cloves unpeeled
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin) plus
- 1/4 cup olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound haricots verts trimmed (or other thin green beans)
- 1 1/2 cups thinly-sliced red onions
- 3 plum tomatoes seeded, and cut
- matchstick-size strips - (abt 1 1/2 cups)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place garlic cloves in small baking dish. Drizzle 2 tablespoons oil over. Cover and bake garlic until tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover; bake until garlic is golden brown, about 10 minutes longer. Cool. Peel garlic.
Transfer garlic and oil to processor. Process until smooth paste forms. Add vinegar; process until well blended. Transfer to medium bowl. Gradually add 1/4 cup oil, whisking until dressing is thick and smooth. Stir in basil. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
Cook beans in large pot of boiling salted water until just crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain; transfer beans to large bowl of ice water. Drain; pat dry with paper towels. Toss beans in large bowl with remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. (Dressing and beans can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate.)
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler. Grill or broil beans until beginning to brown, turning frequently, about 2 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Add onions and tomatoes. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Serve salad at room temperature.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Crockpot Ham, Green Beans &... 3.9/5 (202 Votes)
- Cheese & Onion Enchiladas with... 4.4/5 (144 Votes)
- Garlic Lemon Chicken with Green... 4.4/5 (104 Votes)
- Gingered Onion and Beef Soup with... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Savory Mini Muffins with Goat... 4.4/5 (41 Votes)
- Apricot Bread Pudding With Caramel... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dried Cranberry Compote 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bulgur Risotto With Peas And... 0/5 (0 Votes)