Gingerbread Muffins With Lemon Glaze
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger plus
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - (1 stick) room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup mild-flavored light molasses
- 1 1/3 cups cold water
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Whipped cream (optional)
For Gingerbread Muffins: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter 16 standard (1/3-cup) muffin cups. Whisk flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt in medium bowl to blend.
Using electric mixer, beat unsalted butter and sugar in large bowl to blend. Add large eggs and beat to blend. Beat in light molasses. Add half of dry ingredients, beating until blended. Beat in remaining dry ingredients. Gradually add 1 1/3 cups cold water and beat until incorporated. Divide batter equally among 16 prepared muffin cups.
Bake gingerbread until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool 10 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and place on rack over sheet of foil.
For Lemon Glaze: Whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice in small bowl until smooth. Spoon lemon glaze over tops of warm muffins, using about 1 tablespoon glaze for each.
Serve muffins warm with whipped cream, if desired, or at room temperature.
This recipe yields 16 gingerbread muffins.
Serve these tender gingerbread muffins with whipped cream for teatime or dessert.