Clams With Saffron And Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 pounds littleneck clams scrubbed
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes halved (about one 12-oz basket)
- 2 large shallots thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped garlic plus
- 2 teaspoons finely-chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 slices sourdough bread - (6" by 4") cut into thirds
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Lemon wedges
Place vinegar and saffron in heavy large pot over low heat. Cook 1 minute to blend flavors. Remove from heat; let cool. Whisk in olive oil. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper.
Preheat broiler. Add clams, tomatoes, shallots and 1 tablespoon chopped garlic to vinaigrette in pot. Cover and cook over high heat until clams open, about 8 minutes (discard any clams that do not open). Remove pot from heat. Using tongs, arrange clams in large serving bowl. Add lemon juice to saffron-tomato broth in pot.
Meanwhile, brush sourdough bread slices lightly with olive oil. Rub bread with remaining 2 teaspoons garlic. Broil bread until golden, about 2 minutes.
Sprinkle clams with chopped parsley. Pour saffron-tomato broth over clams. Garnish with sourdough toasts and lemon wedges and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings as first course.
You'll also love
- Clam Chowder 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Linguine and Clams 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Apricot Bread Pudding With Caramel... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dried Cranberry Compote 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bulgur Risotto With Peas And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Maple Seared Scallops 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Beach House Seafood Strata 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Delight 0/5 (0 Votes)