Cara Cara Orange Curd
Put this curd in a chocolate layer cake and it is pure heaven! For a real chocolate-orange home-run, make an orange flavored icing and top it with shaved chocolate.
***Yields about 1 cup***
- 1/2-3/4 cups orange juice from 2 oranges
- zest from one orange
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into chunks and softened
- pinch of salt
1. Pour the orange juice into a small sauce pan, over medium-high heat. Bring the juice to a rapid simmer and let it reduce down to approximately 1/4 cup. this should take 2-4 minutes.
2. Transfer the orange juice to a measuring cup to cool. Stir in the zest and lemon juice.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, yolks and sugar. When the orange juice has cooled to room temperature, whisk it into the egg mixture in a steady stream.
4. Place a clean bowl with a strainer over the top next to the stove. Pour the egg and juice mixture back into your small sauce pan and set it over medium heat. Stir slowly but constantly, until the mixture has thickened to a pudding-like consistency. About 6-8 minutes or until the mixture is 180 degrees (use a candy thermometer)
5. Strain the mixture into the clean bowl to remove the zest and any bits of cooked egg. You can leave in the zest for a chunkier texture, if desired. Stir in the butter and the pinch of salt while the curd is still warm.
Store the curd in a clean jar with a lid. It will keep refrigerated for about a week.