Chocolate quinoa bites
- – 1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed in cold water
- – 2/3 cup water
- – 16 whole (pitted) dates
- – 1/2 cup raw skin-on almonds
- – 1/3 cup smooth almond butter (or, if preferred, peanut butter)
- – 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- – Pinch of salt
- – Additional crushed almonds for coating the quinoa bites
Bring the quinoa and water to a boil. Cover and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
Process the ½ cup of almonds in a food processor until finely chopped.
Add the dates to the food processor. Pulse until they are also finely chopped and the mixture starts to ball together.
Add the hot cooked quinoa, salt, almond butter, and the chocolate chips. Pulse until the mixture balls up around the blade and the chocolate has melted.
Use a cookie scoop to scoop out the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Roll each ball in the crushed almonds to coat.
Refrigerate the balls for about 1 hour, until firm.