Cheesy Smoked Sausage & Potato Casserole
- 3 cups idaho potatoes, peeled, boiled and cut into cubes when cool, approx. 1 lb
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 lb Velveeta cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb skinless smoked sausage (Eckrich is my favorite brand)
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
Cut skinless smoked sausage in half, lengthwise, and then chop into 1/2 inch "half moon" cuts. Cook in a frying pan for about 15 minutes, turning frequently to SLIGHTLY brown.
Meanwhile, put cooked & diced potatoes in 2 quart casserole. Add cooked meat and give it a gentle toss.
Mix all remaining ingredients (except for shredded cheddar cheese & the paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, melted and smooth. (Use a whisk and stir constantly.).
Pour white/cheese sauce over potatoes and meat. Sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top.
Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 35-45 minutes (watch, until golden brown on top).
NOTE: You can substitute: 1/2 lb. hot dogs, sliced into 1/2-inch slices OR 1/2 lb. ham diced into 1/2-inch dices OR 12 oz. can of Spam diced into 1/2-inch dices, instead of the smoked sausage.
You'll also love
- Sausage and Cheese Crescent Squares 4.4/5 (36 Votes)
- Triple Citrus Cake 4.4/5 (36 Votes)
- Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip... 4.4/5 (36 Votes)
- Holiday Lettuce Salad 4.4/5 (36 Votes)
- Lemon-Thyme Turkey 4.4/5 (36 Votes)
- Garlic Parmesan Cheese Bombs 4.4/5 (35 Votes)
- Beef-Hanger Steak & Potatoes 4.4/5 (34 Votes)
- Sausage and Cheese Grits Casserole 4.4/5 (35 Votes)